Tuesday, December 08, 2009

I did my best...

...to add a little Hanukkah spirit. It's been very tough finding time to post these days. Jack is in a new phase, whereby he wants me to hold him every single second. Not for security or affection, mind, but simply because he isn't crawling yet and I am to be his transport as he moves from place to place, preferably every ten minutes. If I'm lucky. I understand that all babies are like this, but are all mothers like me? The ten hours a day I spend alone with him go so slowly it's maddening. And I know, I know, that one day I will long for these sweet, simple days, to have all the time in the world to look at him and kiss him and squeeze him. But knowing that doesn't make it any easier for me. He is the world, and the moon and the stars and all that, but he can be pretty fucking boring sometimes. Meaning he requires 99% of my attention, but only about 1% of my concentration, so that I am insanely busy and mind-crushingly bored for a lot of hours during the day. I am in awe of the stay-at-homes who love it and do it well. Meanwhile I'm looking for some part time childcare. Because it's time.

For your enjoyment, thanks to Brooke, I have discovered what may be the best movie coming out in 2010. Check it out:

8 comments:

mrs.notouching said...

I have no idea what this movie is about but I am so gonna watch it!

Trista said...

In short, yes, other mothers are like you. MANY other mothers are like you. My daughter is the centre of my universe, but there were days on maternity leave, particularly before she was very mobile or had any words, when I was so very, very bored I would take her on really long walks so that she was coralled in her stroller and I would listen to a book on my ipod as I walked, then linger at the neighbourhood coffee shop longer than necessary, because I was so desperate for some distraction outside of the house. It got to the point where I would make sure to have something planned for us almost every day that would get us out of the house, especially in winter.

It got easier as I got braver about taking her out while I did everyday tasks (groceries, etc.) and once I started to get together regularly with friends who had babies. But I had a 'deadline' of sorts because I went back to work when my daughter was 13 months, so that helped to remind me that I only had a finite time to spend with her 24/7, and that I should enjoy it. But let's face it, babies are not great conversationalists.

Marie-Ève said...

I was feeling the same. And was desperately trying to find activities and things to fill my days... Anything... Like: grocery shopping? Hurray!

Stesha said...

I have 7 children. 3 in school until 3pm and 4 at home with me all day. I love them to pieces. I type this as I wish for a double shot of tequila and a genie to grant my wish for a nanny.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Bex said...

Good to know I'm not alone ladies :)

krista said...

i thought it would get easier now that she's almost 2. it's not. i feel like i have way less time to myself. she's at that point where she's into absolutely everything and yesterday i tried to brush my teeth without her standing right next to me and in the time it took me to put toothpaste on the brush she had climbed on top of the table. 15 seconds.
and then i watched that trailer...
crap. it makes me want another one now. i have a sickness.

Braidwood said...

That is SOOO cute. I have two friends who had babies in the last couple months, I'll have to send it to them.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing